Sunday, July 19, 2015

Young Lives Camp - Lost Canyon 2015

This. Week. Was. Hard.  But, it was also so amazing and good.

Let's start with the end result.  This is a picture of all the girls that got up early on Saturday morning for the new believers walk.  Amazing!

And here is a video from Say So.  This is an oppurtunity for the girls who made a decision to follow Jesus this week to stand up and publicly say so.  Many tears from me.  This is why I came.

One of the girls that stood up at say so is named Itsy and her daughter is Valeria.  Valeria was in my nursery and she became attached to me over the week.  Such a sweet little girl.  I spent much time holding, rocking, walking and putting her to sleep.  A neat thing about Itsy and Valeria is that they live in East Palo Alto, a few miles from where I live in Sunnyvale!  I hope to stay connected to them and am praying for Itsy as she starts her journey with Christ.

I have missed Young Life camp and all it's awesomeness over the last 6 years of not attending camp during the summer.  The property and housing was amazing, the leadership and program teams were wonderful, and the food was so good (like always).  I think heaven may look like a Young Life camp.  Here's a few pictures of Lost Canyon.
 I ended up in the Navy nursery for 20 - 24 month olds.  Most of them were actually a little younger than that and we ended up have 17 kiddos in our nursery with 9 nursery workers.  I was the oldest in our nursery and therefore "the mom".  This also meant that I got to deal with a lot of the poop and puke - but it got me some swag in the form of a sweet t-shirt at one of our childcare meetings :)  Here's some of the nursery workers with the selfie stick that one of the girls brought.  (We were not supposed to take pictures of the moms and babies, or else I would have some!)
Last night in our nursery!  Everything is all sanitized and ready for next year!
One of the reasons why this week was so hard was that we were watching babies way more than I anticipated.  I had very little free time, which was ok since I was there to serve - I just had to modify my expectations a bit.  It was also hard when all the kids were dropped off at the same time, and all screaming for an hour of so.  It's a bit draining to carry a baby on each hip while they are both screaming in your ear for any length of time.

Another hard thing was the sickness.  As to be expected when you gather over 150 moms/leaders and over 100 babies together, there was some sickness going around camp.  None of our nursery workers got it, but 4 of our babies did - 2 of them puking in our nursery, on the same day.  Praise the Lord that I have not gotten that flu, please pray that I didn't bring it home!  I did, however, bring home the cold that the babies were passing around.  Please pray that no one else in our house gets it and I can recover quickly.

On one of the hard nights I texted Zac to tell him I was having a rough time.  His reply was just what I needed to hear, "good thing you do hard things."  It would have been much easier and comfortable to just stay home and do my routine in my safe little bubble - but that was not what God called me to do this week.  He called me to this camp to love and serve these girls and babies, to stretch me beyond myself so that all that was left was Him, to witness lives changed as girls made decisions to follow Jesus.

I'll finish this post with my new theme song.  In our childcare meetings (called nanny and manny club) we get to worship together and this was one of the songs that we sang a few times.  I had never heard it before but I'm pretty sure God wrote it for me just for this week.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to serve at Young Lives camp this summer and I pray that God will continue to call me higher.

Called me Higher - By All Sons and Daughters
I could just sit, I could just sit and wait for all Your goodness
Hope to feel Your presence.
And I could just stay, I could just stay right where I am and hope to feel You
Hope to feel something again

And I could hold on, I could hold on to who I am and never let You

Change me from the inside
And I could be safe, I could be safe here in Your arms and never leave home
Never let these walls down

But You have called me higher, You have called me deeper, And I'll go where You will lead me Lord

You have called me higher, You have called me deeper, And I'll go where You lead me Lord
Where You lead me Lord

Here's the video if you want to hear it (it's awesome):

1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome song! I hadn't heard it before, but the lyrics are so powerful. What an amazing week, Jen!

    ReplyDelete