Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Seasons - Part 2

A few weeks ago I wrote a LONG post about the new season of ministry God is leading me to after living in beautiful California for almost a year (you can read it all here).  This new work has two main parts, Compassion International (which I talked about in part 1) and Young Lives.

With God's call in James 1:27 on my heart to look after the orphans and widows I kept coming back to a thought that God gave me - teen moms and their babies are modern day orphans and widows.  It was sitting in a BSF lecture almost a year and a half ago that God spoke this to my heart, but I didn't have peace about his timing.

Young Lives is Young Life's ministry to teen moms.  Girls are matched up with a mentor mom if they so desire to love on them, encourage them, and walk with them through some of the hardest parts of their lives.  In doing so, these mentor moms are the hands and feet of Jesus.  Most Young Lives groups have "club" once a month with dinner and childcare while the teen moms can just be teens - and hear the Gospel.  There is also camp in the summer just for them!   You can read more about Young Lives here: http://www.younglife.org/ForEveryKid/YoungLives/Pages/default.aspx
Right after moving here I reached out to the local Young Lives area to get a feel for what was happening.  Turns out there are a number of new Young Lives areas starting!  I went to the first meeting of the San Jose group - but realized that this was quite a distance from our house.  I also realized than we needed some time to settle in to our new life here.

Early this spring I was able to attend another start up meeting for a group in Mountain View (much closer to our house).  God has given me peace about the timing, so I am moving forward in helping this area start their Young Lives program.  I am excited and terrified at the same time!

One major way I am stepping forward in this ministry is by going to Young Lives camp this summer at Lost Canyon in Arizona, July 12-18 to serve as a childcare worker!  I am hoping and praying to take a team of volunteers from the Sunnyvale / Mountain View area with me.  This is going to be an amazing mission trip and I covet your prayers.  We are working out all the details at the moment (like who's watching Keanan and Kyla!) as the date was just set yesterday.

Want to experience one of the best weeks of your life?!?  You can come with me and share the love of Jesus to teen moms by serving them and loving on their sweet babies!  They need lots of help!  There is more info here: http://experience.younglife.org/Pages/default.aspx

I am excited about this new season of life: with Zac, with my kids, with Compassion International, and with Young Lives.  Please pray that I am faithful to the mission and call that God has put on my life during this time.  All for His honor, all for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment