Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Things I've Learned From the Daniel Fast

For the last 7 days I have been participating in the Daniel Fast - taken from the book of Daniel in the bible where Daniel refuses the King's rich food and instead eats only fruits, vegetables, and water to drink.  So, essentially, I was vegan for 7 days with no sugar in any form and only water to drink.  Here's some things I learned:

- the vegan life is NOT for me.  I could probably do vegetarian, but not vegan.
- for me, this partial type of fast is not effective in making me hunger after God more since I was never really hungry!
- "deny self" becomes very real when you are making scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese for your family that you can not eat.
- an already anemic person needs to be really diligent about getting their iron and protein if deciding to be vegan, or they might have some unpleasant side effects - lesson learned.
- if you want an effective colon cleanse, do the Daniel fast - enough said.
-since I already eat really healthy (whole foods, no processed anything, coffee only once or twice a week, lots of produce and herbs, very little sugar...), removing meat, dairy, eggs, all sugar, and my tea isn't really going to "detox" me of anything
- guaca-hummas with rosemary olive oil flat bread is awesome.  Tofu is not awesome

My goal when I started was to do this fast for 10 days, but the side effects that I mentioned from being anemic where getting unhealthy so I stopped at 7 - and I don't feel guilty about that at all.  In hindsight, I should have planned out my meals better to ensure I was getting enough protein and iron.

Will I do the Daniel Fast again?  Probably not, at least not the way I did it this time.  But I do plan to incorporate a traditional type of fast on a more regular basis.  Jesus really makes it clear that fasting is not an optional activity for his followers, with the goal of listening too, petitioning, and drawing nearer to God.  And that is the thing I want the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment