Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"We Made Our Kids Our Hobby"

Currently, our small group is studying parenting.  To do this we have carefully selected 4 couples who we feel have been successful while raising their kids.  This means they are Christians, still married, and their kids are out of the house and doing well - married, walking with Jesus...  It has been wonderful to hear from these couples and ask them questions about what they did, what worked, what didn't work etc.

I was really struck by one of the statements that the couple last week shared: "we made our kids our hobby."  Meaning, whatever their kids were into, that's what they became interested in and got into as well.  In our selfish all-about-me culture this self-less approach really hit me.  Do I do this?  I'm not sure.

Every so often I get the itch to doula more (I currently take only 2-3 clients a year).  But does the MANY hours that doula work require benefit my kids, my family, or just me?  Is birth work my hobby, our is it my kids?

Thoughts to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment