Wednesday, December 19, 2012

24/6 - a review


Earlier this summer my uncle in DC sent me the book "Almost Amish" about living a simplified life.  You can read my review of this wonderful book here.  After writing up said review, I sent it to the author.  She was very grateful and generously offered to send me a copy of her husband's, Dr. Matthew Sleeth, soon to be released book "24/6 - a prescription for a healthier, happier life".  She asked if I would also review it, and I happily agreed!

 24/6 is a look at our need, and God's command, to live a Sabbath honoring life.  I love the comments on the back jacket of the book:

"Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy."  It's the only commandment that begins with the word remember - almost as if God knew we would forget.

Well, guess what?

We did.

It seems that this commandment is the easiest to ignore - and that's what I've been doing most of my life - ignoring it.  I go, go, go and do, do, do.  I have a list for every day and work to get it done.  We've recently embarked on a journey to simplify our lives, getting rid of much of our possessions and moving towards minimalism.  But I had not thought to simplify my days, or even how to go about doing it.  A 24/6 life is the answer.

The book is split into 4 sections: Our 24/7 World, Why We Need 24/6, How We Do 24/6, Your 24/6 Life.   Dr. Sleeth clearly makes the case, backed-up by relevant scripture and personal stories and health implications, for our need of a 24/6 life.  I was quite convinced, and convicted.  Keeping the Sabbath is just as much about honoring God as it is about accepting His gift of rest and peace.

I loved how Dr. Sleeth did not prescribe what Sabbath should look like for each person - as the Rabbi's of old did for the Jewish people in the bible.  Instead he refers to it as "Stop Day" - and this means different things for different people.  What did you need to "stop" doing so that this day can be set apart, holy, for God?

For me, "Stop Day"  means no cleaning, no computer, no school.  Sunday is the day that works for our Sabbath (others might have different days).  We have breakfast (egg bake and smoothies), go to church, come home, have lunch and nap (all of us!), play games or do something else as a family. have dinner (soup and bread), maybe some more games, bed for the kids, bible study / bible reading, write in my "Stop Day" journal, maybe read another book or visit with Zac, bed.  The only "work" I do on this day is whatever needs done in the kitchen.  Apart from church - we strive to be home.  It has been about a month of observing the Sabbath in this way.  What a refreshing way to start the week!  I love unplugging from the world and simply hanging out with the family and the Lord.   I have been getting better about finishing up my preparations for the week on Saturday night so I can truly just BE on Sunday.  

Dr. Sleeth stated in the book that we need to be human beings instead of human doings.  I totally agree.  We need to be still to listen and know God.  We need to be still.  We need to BE.  

Do you want a healthier, happier life?  Consider a 24/6 life.

No comments:

Post a Comment