Friday, April 27, 2012

Watoto


About a year ago Zac's parents traveled to Uganda to serve at a Watoto children's village.  I thought this was great and was very excited for them - but didn't really know what Watoto was all about.  Fast forward to today.  From their trip Nana and Grandpa brought the kids a book: Mayambi's Second Chance.  Today we read it for the first time in school.

I was brought to tears by this story of a young boy, orphaned by war and AIDS, who is rescued from the streets and given the chance to live at a Watoto children's village.  I explained to the kids that this is the true story of many children in Uganda.  I don't know why it took us until today to read this book - but God has pricked my heart, and the hearts of my kids to action for Watoto.

After lunch we watched this video from YouTube.  Again, more tears.  We also visited www.watoto.com  We are praying about how we can be involved.
 
There are so many needs in our world, and maybe this one has hit me so hard because Nana and Grandpa were just there.  Maybe it's the images of all of those children and babies.  Maybe it's Jesus.  Please pray for us as we follow God's leading in this.  Maybe He's pricked your heart too.   If yes, let me know, so I can pray for you.

In all of this, God has brought His Word to my heart:
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

1 comment:

  1. Do this for Jesus! This is such an amazing opportunity:) We are praying and so encouraged by your boldness and your heart. Praise be to the Father!

    ReplyDelete