Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Most Scientific Birth Is Often the Least Technological Birth



This is a fabulous new article by a professor of clinical medical humanities and bioethics at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine.  The Most Scientific Birth Is Often the Least Technological Birth  This is such a great read!!
The authors conclusion, after studying all the scientific evidence with her academic internist partner, was that the safest, healthiest option "when it came time to birth at the end of my low-risk pregnancy, I should not have induction, nor an episiotomy, nor continuous monitoring of the baby's heartbeat during labor, nor pain medications, and definitely not a c-section. I should give birth in the squatting position, and I should have a doula -- a professional labor support person to talk to me throughout the birth. (Studies show that doulas are astonishingly effective at lowering risk, so good that one obstetrician has quipped that if doulas were a drug, it would be illegal not to give one to every pregnant woman.)"


I highly recommend reading the rest of this article!



No comments:

Post a Comment