Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Montessori Madness

I am a teacher. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher. It is the passion that God has given me. Right now this passion is used to teach my kids and expecting parents. So I am always reading about the latest and or best ways to do this.

One of the blogs that I love and follow is Carisa at 1+1+1=1 She is an amazing Christian mom who homeschools her kids. Before having kids she was a primary teacher and was introduced to the Montessori method and loved it. Lately she has been doing "montessori minute" posts on her blog and I was intrigued. I ended up buying an e-book, Montessori at Home by John Bowman who was the guest blogger on Carisa's blog. I read it and it was really good. And that was the extent of that for a few weeks.

Then I saw this video: Montessori Education for the Early Childhood Years It helps me to see things to really get it. I LOVED this idea and really wanted to incorporate it in our school. So back I went to the Montessori at Home e-book. I read it again and rearranged our school room in order to display the Montessori activities for the kids. THEY LOVE IT!! I can see their little brains working as they explore the different materials. They are also learning respect for them as we carefully set up the activity on a mat or table and then carefully put it back in its spot on the shelf when done. We even re-organized our family room so that every toy has it's own spot, no tossing things randomly onto shelves or in baskets. An organized area supports an organized mind.

We are still using the Pre-K curriculum's from Confessions of a Homeschooler and Carisa's 1+1+1=1, but the driving force of our school time is Montessori. If there was a Montessori preschool within 30-45 minutes that was part-time, we would probably send our kids there. But there is not, so we will do it ourselves! If you have kids ages 3-6 I HIGHLY recommend checking out the video listed above and purchasing the e-book, Montessori at Home.

I will post pictures of our shelves in the school room at the end of the week!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I have a quick question for you about your site. If you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate it. Have a great day!

    Thanks,
    Dan Gilbert
    Communications Coordinator
    Primrose Schools
    dgilbert@primroseschools.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello - I am so pleased that you're finding Montessori At Home! helpful. I agree, Carisa is a gem. If I can ever help with questions, please let me know. The second edition will be coming out in a few weeks & you'll get a free link to download it. Have fun & thanks again for the positive feedback!

    John Bowman

    ReplyDelete