Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

I've seen many posts lately about what people are giving up. Chocolate, Facebook, cussing, etc. Last year I gave up the time I spent on the couple of forums I was frequently lurking on. The intention is to give up something that matters to help us remember what Christ gave up for us.; the very thing that matters most, his life.

This year I am not giving anything up. This year I want more. More of Jesus.

Lysa TerKeurst posted this on her blog today and it really struck a chord with me:

"It’s not saying I need to add more to my already too long to do list. It’s saying, “Lord, help me to be more… with you, in you, like you, because of you.”

Help me to walk toward the cross this year carrying my depravity that needs to die there.

But even more so, help me keep my eyes focused on the tomb, where hope rises and victory prevails."

My Prayer:
"Draw me close to you, never let me go. I lay it all down again, to hear you say that I'm a friend. You are my desire, no one else will do. For nothing else can take your place, to feel the warmth of your embrace. Help me find my way, lead me back to you.

Your all I want. Your all I've ever needed. Your all I want. Help me know that you are here."

These might not be the "right" words to this song. But this is how I sing it. This is the cry of my heart.

I realized this morning that I have been hiding, running even, from Jesus. Not so much that anyone else would notice. Just enough for me to see. I've been going through all the "right" motions, but I've been afraid of hearing what he has to tell me, or where he wants me to go. We had a good chat this morning.

Speak Lord, I am listening. I will go, send me.

If you are giving something up for Lent, I commend you and wish you strength to stick with it. I want to ask you though, what are you filling that extra time or space with instead?

"You're all I want. You're all I've ever needed. You're all I want. Help me know that you are here."

No comments:

Post a Comment