Friday, December 17, 2010

Peace!

We have had a very busy week, and a very busy week to come. But in the midst of it all, I am not stressed, not even a little bit! This is quite strange for me, I tend to err on the side of the perfectionist, especially when it is people coming to my house. During the Christmas season there are so many extra things to do, to buy, to make... many find themselves weary instead of cheery. But not this year. What is different?

This year we have put much, if not all, of our focus on the real meaning of Christmas. Jesus. We have been very intentional in telling the Christmas story to Keanan almost every day. Talking about angels, shepherds, wise man, and next week Joseph and Mary. Lighting the advent candles and singing about hope, peace, joy and next week love. Attending advent services each week put on by our small group. We are only buying gifts for the kids on both sides of our family, and very meaningful ones for our parents. Our kids only get one present from Santa, and one from us. We are making Christmas all about Jesus.

The result? Peace! I am almost in tears right now just thinking about the great flood of peace that has come over my life. Among all the parties, dinners, and activities of the season. I praise God for his peace. Peace that came into this world with the birth of a very special baby. Peace that surpasses all understanding.

I pray that this focus continues every year. I pray that you and your family experience God's amazing peace. Here is a quote from a devotional that I get my email that sums it up:

"If we are intentional we can suspend the season for a flickering moment; discovering Christ in the chaos and experiencing a holy hush among the hustle. Then, when the last strand of lights is taken down and the fruitcake is finished, we can look back on a Christmas season that was blessed, not stressed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment